Frequently asked questions
- How many graduates does MTR recruit each year? The number of intake each year varies according to our business needs and the candidates’ fit to our requirements.
- Can I apply for more than one programme? If you are interested in more than one programme, please indicate your order of preference in your application. Your application will be processed according to the priority of preference you have indicated.
- What is the difference between graduate trainee programme
and other professional expertise programmes?
If you have a particular interest in pursuing a general management path in your career development and are prepared to be assigned to work in different business functions and locations, with high mobility to work in the Mainland of China / overseas, you may consider applying Graduate Trainee (GT) programme.
If you have strong interest in a particular business function, would like to focus more on your professional development, and are prepared to work in any departments of the respective function to gain in-depth functional knowledge and experience, you may consider applying the functional programmes under the professional expertise stream.
- Do I need to hold a relevant degree when I apply for the
graduate trainee or other professional expertise programmes?
For graduate trainee, human resources associate and railway officer trainee programmes, we have no specific requirement on the subject of the degree.
For property associate programme, you should be a graduate in Business Administration / Housing Management or equivalent, or with a technical background in Structural Engineering / E&M Engineering / Architectural Studies / Building Services Engineering / Surveying / Town Planning.
For graduate engineer programme, as it is a HKIE accredited Scheme 'A' Training programme leading to the gaining of Chartership, the accreditation is offered for the following disciplines:
- Control Automation & Instrumentation
For graduate quantity surveyor programme, you should be a graduate in degree accredited by HKIS in Quantity Surveying Division.
For finance associate programme, you should be a graduate in Accounting, Economics, Finance or Business Administration.
- If I am currently studying overseas, can I still apply?
Yes, you may apply but please take note of the recruitment schedule of the programme.
Alternate arrangement like online interview may be arranged for candidates who are studying abroad and unable to attend interview. For later stage of assessment, overseas candidates may be invited to attend written exercise, group exercise or assessment centre in Hong Kong at one’s own expense.
- Can I submit my application through email or other channels? To ensure fairness and consistency in screening (collection of same set of information from all applicants) and selection, all applications must be submitted via the online application system which will be opened on 2 Oct 2018, 9am. Application closes on 31 Oct 2018.
- How long will it take after I submit my application to receive
We consider your application carefully in light of your stated preference and the job requirements. While assessment details may vary for different programmes, shortlisted candidates may normally be invited to complete online assessment / interview by email in 4-8 weeks. Please check your inbox periodically for assessment / interview invitation with subject regarding “MTR Graduate Recruitment” and review your email account settings to ensure these email messages will not be blocked automatically.
If you have any questions regarding the arrangement, please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org and quote the reference no. “18000094” for 2019 Graduate Recruitment.
- When do the graduate development programmes commence? The programmes usually commence in July. Some programmes may take on candidates earlier depending on business needs and availability of candidates. You will be notified of the details once we have offered you a place.
- Do I have a choice in choosing our rotations / attachments? Customised development will be provided taking into consideration programme requirements, business needs, individual aspirations and development needs.
- What support will I receive in the programme?
You will have intensive induction programmes and rotations or attachments to different business functions or departments of the respective functions to gain in-depth knowledge and experience. You will also receive on-the-job development and support, through a buddy, mentor or networks.
An integrated management training and development programme will be provided for trainees including Corporate Familiarisation programme, competency-based management training (e.g. leadership/business management, people management, project management and personal effectiveness), Outward Bound training, study trip, action learning projects, community projects, Corporate events, etc.