Using your Octopus Card1. Simply swipe your Octopus Card over the Fare Deducting Processor at the entry or exit gate of any MTR station.
2. To make your life easier, we allow you to continue using your Octopus Card until it has a residual value of -HK$35 or below. Any negative balance will be deducted the next time you add value.
3. Please remember to take good care of your Octopus Card and don't let it get scratched, written on or bent. Always keep your card in its protective pouch and keep well away from metal coins, studs and zippers.
4. Never place two Octopus Cards onto the Fare Deducting Processor at the same time.
5. If your Octopus Card is rejected by a Fare Deducting Processor, please wait until the passenger indication light stops flashing before trying to use the card again. If the problem persists, please ask a member of MTR staff for assistance.
6. Never place electronic equipment such as your digital diary close to the Octopus reader.
7. When seated, please make sure your Octopus Card is not in your back pocket as it will bend the card and damage its delicate microchip.
8. Remember to make sure your Octopus Card has sufficient/a positive value before you attempt to enter an MTR gate.